Kinetic Typography. 3

Finished Pieces, Kinetic Typography, Motion Graphics, Task

After experimenting in After Effects for a while, I chose my audio clip and started to work on my kinetic typography. I decided to use the beginning clip of Bop to the Top from the Disney Channel Original movie High School Musical (2006) as this song is fun and energetic. I decided on a red background with yellow text to resemble the ‘Wildcats’ and their basketball uniform. I wanted the typography to be coherent with the audio and context and therefore chose to use fairly ‘cool’, informal san serif fonts, animating them suitably for it to all fit and flow well. I chose this specific song from HSM as the lyrics provoke a lot of imagery such as “anything it takes to climb the ladder of success.” I thought this will be ideal when coming back to further improve this piece through the addition of graphic images. I could also advance my work by masking the background and placing shadows; creating a stage like scene, thus relating back to the context. I hope to carry on experimenting with After Effects, practicing importing imagery and the different animation techniques. To conduct this I will carry on researching into the software and watching online tutorials on websites such as Lynda.com.

Temporal Expressions. 3

Finished Pieces, Photography, Photoshop, Task

For the second task I have created a joiner image, a sequence, which exploits long exposure, and images that exploit short exposure. All are based on the theme ‘cycle’ and have been influenced by the research on Art History I conducted before hand.

I am particularly proud with my joiner image as I feel it positively resembles Picassos and Hockneys work. I chose to base it on the emotional cycle as it gave me the freedom to explore close ups of various facial features and gestures. I decided to use Photoshop to collect all of the photo images to then piece them together to create a coherent portrait. Once it was assembled I tried adjusting the images to emphasise the theme. I decided to make the image black and white as the colours have connotations of pessimism and sorrow. However, to link back to the theme ‘cycle’, adjusting the hair colour to bright pink hues helps lift emotion, almost creating a binary opposition between happy and sad. By capturing multiple viewpoints I feel I have successfully created a cubist impression through flattening an object into 2-D.

Joiner image

Joiner

Long exposure

Light painting

Furthermore, for my second piece, I used a DSLR to change the exposure time and create a light painting. I decided to take the images of cars and their lights driving past in the dark. As this is a fairly everyday, normal task, i.e. driving to and back from work, I thoughtit fit perfectly with the theme of a ‘life cycle’. For this reason I chose to submit two light paintings, to reinforce this everyday task attitude, one being of the cars front lights and the other of the taillights.

Similarly, with my third piece, I used a DSLR to change to a short exposure time in order to create a sequence of frozen motion. For this I came up with an idea of physical rotation, something I felt the lexis ’cycle’ connoted. I therefore asked my model to spin around so that I could capture the dress and hair movement. I think this shoot went fairly well, however, exaggerated movement may have created a better effect. Possibly a looser/ lighter dress should have been used. The use of a low angle shot however, helps to emphasise the movement of the hair and dress to create a tense and energetic image.

Short exposure

Frozen motion

Finally, I researched into the creation of cinemagraphs through online tutorials as I had an idea of creating an image of someone blowing bubbles. The application of the rule of thirds would have meant following the bubbles until they were off screen. However, when I came to record the short video I did not use a tripod, this was a big mistake; the video was shaky and when I came to masking the bubbles the background around them moved as well. I aim to redo this clip very soon. I have learnt a lot from doing these tasks and I hope to use and further these skills in my next task.

Alphabet Collage. 3

Finished Pieces, Photography, Task

Taking all of my research on board, I have created a single displayed poster-image with my alphabet letters which demonstrate my creative understanding of form, line, texture and colour.

task 1

I found keeping to my theme of nature to be fairly challenging; some letters can be somewhat hard to read, however I feel this fits well with the theme and task, adhering to Moholy Nagy and his photograms. Letters such as E, F and O are unmistakeable, however with others a more abstract approach is taken.letters2

I am particularly pleased with the letters P, H and V; they perfectively demonstrate texture, colour and line. The close up gives the sense of the rough tree bark whilst taking the form of a legible P. As with V, the saturated green colouring of the leaf emphasises the shaping from the leaves in the background. However, to have carried this out throughout all the letters, I should have framed and lit the photo accordingly. I did minimal alterations on photoshop, in order to keep it natural and nature orientated, only placing them in a grid format to reduce confusion, as the letters already require some thought.

As this was my first time delving into the photography world, I feel this task has helped me to look at the world openly looking out for the beauty that is easily passed. As well as this, I have gained knowledge on the various approaches in photography. I feel these lessons will be hugely beneficial when approaching my other tasks.